The south-eastern part of the Großer Garten is home to the open-air stage »Junge Garde« – directly adjacent to the Dresden Zoo and Carolaschlösschen. With its semicircle of tiered rows for the audience, its architecture is reminiscent of an ancient amphitheatre. Building the »Junge Garde« open-air venue between 1953 and 1955 (architects: Herbert Schneider, Krista Grunicke, Kurt Röthig, Hans Konrad, Lothar Thiel and Heinz Hirsch) was intended as a contribution to cultural work in Dresden, a city destroyed during the war. Today, it offers rock and pop, classical and jazz concerts. In 2011, a more serviceable stage roof construction allowing better visibility was installed, making the Junge Garde venue suitable for even the most demanding concert and stage productions.