Bautzner Straße 130
At the beginning of the 19th century there were only vineyards and woodland on today’s castle estate. In 1803, the 7th Earl Findlater, a Scottish lord, bought the estate. He had a mountain palace built which was one of the most beautiful palaces in Dresden. In 1850, Prince Albrecht of Prussia, son of King Frederick William III, acquired the estate. Because of his mésalliance he had to live out of Prussia and commissioned the construction of today’s castle and a park of 13 hectares following plans of Adolf Lohse, a pupil of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The last owner, William Count of Hohenau, sold the castle to the town of Dresden in 1925. In 1945, it became the headquarter of the Soviet Military Administration in Dresden and in 1951 the castle was turned into a »Pionierpalast«, a recreational facility for the state youth organisation. In 1977, the Heritage Organisation declared the castle a cultural monument with national importance. The »Kronensaal« with its splendid view onto the river Elbe is one of the most beautiful venues for chamber music in Dresden.